The Spy is story of a legendary dancer named Mata Hari who was accused of serving as a double agent for France and Germany during World War I.
The author feels that her only crime was her choice to be an independent woman.
A short but quality read, where the story shifts among Mata Hari’s attorney and factual source documents. Paulo Coelho’s writing made me feel the passion, enthusiasm, loneliness, shame, pride, betrayal, and sadness in Mata Hari’s life.
1. “Love kills suddenly. Leaving no evidence of the crime.”
2. “When we don’t know where life is taking us, we are never lost.”
3. “Every moment should be lived with feeling and emotion because if we try to decipher it and understand it, the magic disappears”
4. “I thought that speaking about my wounds would only make them more real. And yet the exact opposite was taking place: My tears were healing me.”
1. “Love isn’t just a feeling. It’s an art. And like any art, it takes not only inspiration but also a lot of work.”
2. “We aren’t who we want to be. We are what society demands. We are what our parents choose. We don’t want to disappoint anyone; we have a great need to be loved. So we smother the best in us. Gradually, the light of our dreams turns into the monster of our nightmares. They become things not done, possibilities not lived.”
3. “When night comes and no one is watching, I feel afraid of everything: life, death, love or the lack of it; the fact that all novelties quickly become habits; the feeling that I’m wasting the best years of my life in a pattern that will be repeated over and over until I die; and sheer panic at facing the unknown, however exciting and adventurous that might be.”
4. Going after a dream has a price. It may mean abandoning our habits, it may make us go through hardships, or it may lead us to disappointment, et cetera. But however costly it may be, it is never as high as the price paid by people who didn’t live. Because one day they will look back and hear their own heart say: ‘I wasted my life.’
1. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.
2. Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.
3. I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.
4. This is what we call love. When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there’s no need at all to understand what’s happening, because everything happens within you.
P.S.- Let me know your favourite quote/quotes from Paulo Coelho’s books in the comments below. 🙂